Friday, June 3, 2011

Why having a burning desire is so essential for you success

What does a burning desire mean to you?
To me it means having a feeling so strong that it becomes an obsession.  Some of you may attach a negative connotation to the word obsession, but this assumption is anything but far from the truth.  In this case, I am referring to an obsession of accomplishing your dreams.  Your desire to achieve your dreams has to be implanted into your mind so that all you do is eat, breath, and sleep your dream.  You have to picture yourself already in possession of your dream. 
The benefits of having a burning desire
This burning desire is going to give you that extra courage to keep you going when you suffer setbacks.  This burning desire is going to give you that extra strength to workout everyday to get you physically fit.   This burning desire is that stimulus that is going to help you come up with those creative ideas.   This burning desire is going to allow you to say YES when the rest of the world is saying NO!  When you have a burning desire, every obstacle you face becomes inferior.  Having a burning desire to achieve your dream is the ONLY way you will ever see it come to realization.
How to create a burning desire
I have covered in greater detail the methods you can use to help build a burning desire in my blog Desire+Faith+Action=Success, but I will give you the following example. 
Imagine if you wrote down in your daily planner some upcoming activities that HAVE to be completed by the end of the day.   If you have any self discipline, I guarantee that these tasks would be completed in a promptly matter because they were instilled in your brain that they were doable.  Well your dreams are the same way.  The only way you will ever achieve your dream is to first convince yourself that they are achievable.

Traveling with no destination
Not writing down your dreams is like going on a road trip with no destination.  You and your spouse start driving and your wife will ask…”Honey, where are we going?”  You shrug your shoulders because you don’t have a clue!  You don’t know how to get there and you don’t know how long it will take to get there because you don’t know where you are going.  First, figure out what your definite purpose in life is.  What is that one thing you wish to accomplish that would make you proudest?   Once you figure it out, write it down and visit it regularly.  This will implant in your mind your desired dream and help you come up with the plans to achieve them.   
Goal Attainment
I keep mentioning dreams, but this technique can be used for any goal you want to accomplish.  For instance, I have an issue dealing with how other people feel towards me.  To help with this mental flaw, I recite the following statement every day…”It will be a great personal achievement if I wasn’t so sensitive to how people feel about me.”  Since I started this, I have seen a big improvement in this area.    
Just Write It
I hear some of you saying…”Dre, I don’t need to write them down because I think about them all the time.”   Maybe you do think about them all the time, but it’s a difference when you write them down.  If you commit to writing them down and reciting them each day, you would be amazed how your faith in achieving them grows.   Once your faith starts to grow, then your will to take action grows.  Taking the first step is the hardest.  Once you take it, you are on the stairway to accomplishing your dreams.  Stay persistent and don’t fall off the stairway.  You may trip up a couple times, but don’t fall.   I was skeptical at first, but the more and more I use this technique, the more and more I noticed my dreams coming into fruition. 
WRITE IT, BELIEVE IT, DO IT, REAP the BENEFITS
To illustrate how this technique works, I will share with you what famous comedian Jim Carrey said on the Oprah Winfrey show… “I wrote myself a check for ten million dollars for acting services rendered and dated it Thanksgiving 1995. I put it in my wallet and it deteriorated. And then, just before Thanksgiving 1995, I found out I was going to make ten million dollars for Dumb & Dumber. I put that check in the casket with my father because it was our dream together.”